Monday, October 15

Second Life Video Attempt

Well this is the first time I've posted an actual video. I hope it works. I'm posting this video because of two reasons.

1st: I'm going to be in a group that will have Second Life as our trends analysis subject. I have to tell you I'm kind of looking forward to it. =0) It might be hard to find a lot of corporate world training uses but it will not be that hard for me to speculate as to future training uses of SL based on what is in this video. So I think I have that going for me.

2nd: I'm also starting a section of my other class based on Virtual Reality and its influence education. For my groups section we need to focus on the "future of avatars" and I think this video will help my group see a couple of applications of eduction already established in the Second Life world.

If you have already seen this video its because I got it from a blog entitled "eLearning Technology" created by Tony Karrer. He in turn got it from "corporate elearning strategies and development" a corporate learning blog. If you haven't seen these videos let me know any first impressions of Second Life you might get from this video.

4 comments:

Paul Silli said...

Wow! The VR topic is a popular subject this week. VR is going to soon rock the educational field. It needs to become more user/hardware friendly though. It takes A LOT of power and new computer hardware to get VR to work efficiently. Sadly, this means that VR is expensive. I know it will make a great difference in education as well as for the private sector when it develops a bit more, and costs decrease. Presently, as you may know, the military uses VR to train pilots and combat soldiers. They have the resources and bucks! Oh, of course it is also used in the movie industry... I think they have some money as well. ;) I hope VR applicatoins will be more general consumer oriented. For now, it is just a great techie topic to discuss. I do see a lot of potential with it though.

Ronna Roberson said...

After watching the video, which was my first experience with Second Life, I felt this was a glorified video game. We have a Wii and my family members created their own Mii. This is an Avatar, but we can't talk to each other or interact except to challenge each other. The one thing I could see useful is introducing student to new complex environments. This could be a campus, classroom, etc. I guess I need more details on the VR environments. I'm not a big gamer, so I don't see a whole lot of difference. Maybe the kids to though :)

KJA said...

Well this is new to me but Second Life keeps popping up on more and more. I'm sure it has a use some where, I think when it really takes hold it will not look like most people think right now. It will not even be considered VR. It will be reality. As technology encroaches on more and more aspects of live we begin see that line between virtural and natural a true VR experience will requrie nearly no effort of the usser to be a part of the experience.
Nice job with the video. Kyle

Elizabeth Clark said...

Actually, Second Life has already really taken hold in higher ed. You can check out some of the sites I have bookmarked at del.icio.us. The problem for K-12 is that you have to be 18 or older to join the main grid. There is a teen grid for 13 to 17 year olds. Having said that, I should point out that a lot of K-12 teachers and IT people are in SL, too, and ISTE is very active there.